Thursday, April 23, 2009

So, About My Foot

Some of you are aware that I spent the majority of Wednesday afternoon in the Emergency Room at Methodist Hospital in Memphis.

I was eating lunch at Outback after class with Kim Johnson, April Watson, and Jennifer Sheffield. A good time was had by all and we had paid and were beginning to wrap things up and head back to the seminary. Thats when I heard behind me "oh %$&*" and then felt a cold sensation hit my back and legs and I felt glass hit my flip flop covered feet. You ever have something like that happen where you just sit there for a second, but in your mind you think and think and it seems like a longer time than it really is? You are 1) trying not to scream 2) trying to let what just happened process in your mind so your fully appreciate your predicament and 3) attempting to compose yourself and quickly remind yourself that verbal and physical altercations are not viable options.  Anyway, thats what I did. I decided in that instant that I was not going to kill this waiter.

When I went to stand up and turn around there was a small shard of glass in my flip flop that promptly went into my heel.  Thats when I forgot about #1. I yelled out in pain and you would be SHOCKED, I mean SHOCKED,  at how quickly a manager can appear when a tea covered customer screams out in pain. 

I sat back down and attempted to pull the little piece out of my foot with my hand hoping that it wasn't going to be a big deal, but all I managed to do is cut my finger on the little piece of glass. 

I can't begin to tell you how bad that manager wanted my bleeding, tea drenched, red faced butt out of his restaurant. He paid for my lunch (Sidebar: How ironic is it that this is the one time in my life I wasn't hungry when I went in and I only bought a $5.41 appetizer? Do you know how many times I've dropped $30 in there? Smited again). He got my information and gave me his card and I kid you not, his insurance agent was on my cell phone before I was a mile toward the hospital assuring me that there was no need to escalate this and that they would be more than happy to offer me a settlement "after my serious physical needs" were met. 

To wrap the story up quickly, I sat in the Emergency Room and they brushed out what they could and told me that the rest of it wasn't worth digging in my foot for. It will either work its way out or it will calcify and I will just live with a piece of glass in my foot forever. Either way within a week I should have no pain. 

Moral of the story: If you are going to wear flip flops into Outback, order something expensive. Don't let them get away with a $5 comp.

1 comment:

  1. Aw! I hope your foot feels better soon!
    Also, I'm glad you started a blog. It's a lot of fun, kind of like free therapy! :)

    ReplyDelete