Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Camp Sumatanga

I don't think that I have anything to add anything to what Lauren Roden wrote about Sumatanga. I also, dont think I could write it better. So I'm just going to post her thoughts.

From Lauren Elizabeth Roden

Love is a place, part II...

As most of you have heard, our beloved Sumatanga is in need. I don't know about you, but I cannot fathom my life without camp and frankly, I'm not even interested in entertaining that possibility.

So, what do we do? From what I understand, camp needs a couple of things to move it toward sustainability.

1.
They need people to use their facilities. Schedule your next family/college/high school reunion at camp. Send your kid to camp..send your kid's kid to camp... send your neighbor's kid to camp.
2.
They need donations- monetary and in-kind gifts. On their website, they have a list of needed items and potential volunteer projects. If you're looking for a small service project for your kids... have them come out to camp for a day help out.
3. They need you to get the word out... Camp is probably one of our most underused resources in the NAC.

I know that everyone is watching their money right now, but this strikes me as one of those times where it is important to consider the intangible value that a healthy Sumatanga brings to the NAC (and the world- as cheesy as that sounds). I have met people from all over the country who have heard of Sumatanga and who know how special it is.

Just think about the people you know who are a product of the camping programs at Sumatanga (which is only a small facet of the ministry that camp does). Think about how your life was transformed by your experiences there. Try to put a price on it...

As the wise poet Wendell Berry said:

So, friends, every day do something
that won't compute. Love the Lord.
Love the world. Work for nothing.
Take all that you have and be poor.
Love someone who does not deserve it.

Ask the questions that have no answers.
Invest in the millenium. Plant sequoias.
Say that your main crop is the forest
that you did not plant,
that you will not live to harvest.

Practice Resurrection.



No comments:

Post a Comment