Monday, June 1, 2009

SPAM and The Great Midwestern Adventure


I don't know why it has taken me so long to pause and tell you about the greatest adventure of my life so far. It was an adventure that took me and the regionally famous Jeff Moore through 7 states and laid us at the doorstep of two American treasures. Many of you followed our adventure on both Facebook and Twitter. For 16 hours you guessed, pondered, and pontificated on where we could possibly be heading to. Many of you profiled me as th fat guy and automatically assumed I had to be going to Chicago for pizza. You were wrong (but only because I hadn't thought of it at that point). Many of you thought we were heading to St. Louis for Barbecue or the Budweiser plant. Again, wrong, but both were quality guesses. I think my favorite guess was from Scott Coats who at one point was convinced that I was headed to Hannibal, Missouri to visit the birthplace of Mark Twain. Again, great guess, and a worthy destination, but in the end we were only passing through Hannibal.

Our travels took us to Austin, Minnesota. Austin is the home of a corporation that has single handedly fed millions and millions of American at home and abroad. More than feeding people, it has also provided America with one of the most recognizable products in the history of our beloved Democracy. Austin is the home of the Hormel Corporation which took potted meat to a whole new level when it debuted SPAM to the American public in the 1930's.


Jeff and I made it our quest to visit the home of SPAM and tour the SPAM Museum.

SPAM might be just a joke to you, but to the people of Minnesota it is their contribution this great Union we call America.

SPAM has allowed us to fight foreign wars and defeat the likes of Stalin, Hitler, and Hussein. Without SPAM servicemen and women around the world would have been forced to the battlefield without the protein necessary to defend our liberties. 



When we arrived at the Museum, our Tour Guide, Lonny (pictured to the right) couldn't believe that #1, we would drive 1250 miles one way to just see the SPAM Museum. Or #2, we would actually wear that SPAM costume in the museum. Lonny explained to us how many people had been employed by the Hormel Corporation over the years and how the picture shown to the right is a tribute to those people. That large picture is made up of thousands of smaller pictures of Hormel employees that date back almost a century.
I dont' think any of the people really knew what to think as they encountered us on our journey our talked to us. Those who called and who contacted us throught Twitter and Facebook continued over and over to ask one question. "Why SPAM?". Our answer. "Why Not?". Seriously. How many of you continue to go to the same beach every year and stay in the same condo you have always stayed in so that you can go and eat at the same restaurants that you have always eaten in. How many of you can say that you won the SPAM EXAM? Well I can.

That's right. I won the 10 question Trivia contest offered in the museum (as a side note: Jeff won second place). After answering 9 out of 10 questions correctly, I am now a Champion of SPAM EXAM.  
I really wish I had won a shirt or something that would help normal, everyday people on the street recognize my intellect and my expertise on SPAM. 
You laugh? Who would want to know? I can't even begin to tell you how many people have approached me in the last two weeks and started a conversation by saying, "When you went to the SPAM place, did they explain to you _____________?" SPAM is one of those magical things in life that no one wants to admit intrigues them. Why that color? Whats the deal with the jelly stuff on the outside? Is it really safe to eat it raw? How long can it sit on the shelf before it goes bad? There is no longer a need for you to be embrassed. Ask your question. I am here, at your disposal.

Tomorrow, I will recap our second destination. Dyersville, Iowa. The Field of Dreams

2 comments:

  1. Such fond memories...I think I actually shed a tear at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen, I am not "a fat man" and I LOVE Chicago deep-dish pizza. Should you decide that you want to go up there, even specifically for that, CALL ME PLEASE. It's my favorite US city, and not even because it has great pizza. That's just a bonus. Link to the BEST pizza place in downtown: www.giordanos.com

    (You should also check out the mixed drinks at Martini Park [ martinipark.com ] -- absolutely amazing.)

    ReplyDelete